Thursday, December 01, 2005

Correct as Usual

So lately my k has been very hard at work, and one of the main things she has to do in her work is write. In the past (pre-collar days), she'd been a little shy about the work stuff she wrote, but once in a while I'd get to read something that she was proud of and thought was polished. I've always loved this, of course. Any time I get a glimpse into her r/l it's a good thing. Plus she's a really great writer, no matter if she's writing smut or not, and even stuff that you might think of as dry comes to life with her pen. Of course, I'm also just filled with wonderment every time I have the opportunity to see her amazing mind at work explaining or arguing something on the page. To think that the woman who wrote this brilliant piece also thinks that I'm an alright guy to trust and submit to - that's pretty damn flattering.

Anyhow, in recent weeks I've been lucky enough to be involved with some of her writing before it's at the final stage, which is even more stimulating for me. Beyond that, I think that once in a while I may have actually helped a little! (Us Doms, and men in general, really like to feel useful.) Basically I've been proofreading, which is something I'm decent at, but the side benefit is that I get to see her ideas forming and solidifying over the course of a few drafts, which is way cool. In addition, I get to feel like I'm more a part of her day-to-day life, also way cool.

The interesting part for me has been realizing how much the Dom aspect of my personality infects everything I do, especially when it comes to k. Generally it's not hard for me to just keep things on the "friend" level and suggest changes or fix minor problems of grammar or punctuation. But every once in a while I'll find myself wanting to make wholesale big changes or (even worse) actually argue points with her. Now even though this all occurs on a friendly kind of level, and I certainly don't mean anything bad by it (really all it means is that I find her writing provocative and I'm intellectually engaged by it), I recognize that I need to tamp that down and get a grip.

For the most part, I'm able to overcome these responses, though a little of it sneaks through now and then I'm sure. The interesting thing is that a few months ago I wouldn't have had any trouble keeping that under control. Nowadays, the Dom attitude in me is really right at the surface (and, not to sound like a broken record, but it's intertwined with everything else too). So the temptation is great to "correct" things which are in no way wrong, but I want to bring into alignment with my own way of thinking.

I am a total egomaniac, apparently. My view of how the world works is the only one and she will share that view or suffer the consequences! *visions of a harsh spanking, folllowed by k sobbing "yes Master, you're right, I overextended that metaphor..."*

OK, perhaps overstating just a little.

But it's funny that there's a little Dommish bump there on the otherwise smooth landscape of doing simple proofreading. I feel the bump, and it's really no effort to overcome, but at the same time I sort of treasure it being there, because it's inexorably linked to k, my love for her, my domination of her. And I don't see the bump growing to a real obstacle, nor do I see it disappearing any time soon. It's a nice little bump.

No comments: