Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Hot Chocolate

So it should come as no surprise that I love to eat - think I've mentioned that enough times here. My enjoyment of hot chocolate, though, goes beyond the usual sensual pleasures of food and drink. I don't make it unless it's cold, and it carries the connotation of introspection, a gathering inward both physical and mental. Not so much a "hearth and home" thing, as just a slower and more muted flow between myself and the outside world.

Making chocolate takes some time, at least the way I make it, and of course I've got my favorite ways to do it so that it comes out right. It's important to me that it be rich, for one thing. Whole milk only, please (or soy milk in a pinch, still better than lowfat, and with that nutty kind of edge to it). I've got to feel that I'm really drinking something substantial, with some body to it.

I like the bitterness of chocolate balanced by the sweetness of sugar, but not overwhelmed by it. The tension between the two is sexy. And add in some savory elements, which of course are my well-kept secret, and maybe a dash of vanilla. The whole thing must be simmered at low heat for a long time, with care and patience as the flavor matures, but also with snapping whips of the wire whisk to keep everything blended properly and create a nice froth on top.

Is it any wonder that making a good cup of cocoa makes Me ache to touch My far-richer, far-sweeter, far more complex, far far far more fulfilling k?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I agree - it must be made with whole milk and proper, dark cocoa. Mmm, yes.

~wanders off to make self some~

Anonymous said...

Hot cocoa is delightful this time of year. Reading your post made me long for Mama and her own special family recipe for Mexican hot cocoa. Thank you for sharing your love of cocoa and for helping me to remember mine.

Love,
The Butterfly Temptress

Irch said...

heh seems I have inspired memories and sent readers off to the kitchen. Such good stuff. I've had a nice cup of it each day this week, and it's been lovely, filling, delicious, and fills me with longing as well.

thanks Orchide and Butterfly :)

magdelena said...

Sweet Lord Irch...do you know how much I adore hot chocolate. Like you, I am quite the connoisseur... it must be just right...

ah, that bittersweet balance, I do demand it is so many ways, with so many things...

thankyou for stirring the luxurious, sensual side of me.

with my love,

Lena x

Irch said...

well it is so lovely to see your name again Magdalena, and I noticed that your site is active too, which is a very welcome thing as the days grow darker!

somehow I knew that posting about chocolate might bring commenters out of the woodwork ;)

Anonymous said...

smiles... 'bring commenters out of the woodwork'.... you know us so well dear man.

Chocolate to me is soul food, and I agree, being able to snuggle up somwewhere warm and cosy, and wrap your hands around a large steaming mug of hot chocolate is one of life's 'magic moments'.

My early Christmas wish for you is that one day you and your sweet girl get to share that moment together.

love and hugs xxx

Irch said...

aw well you are rather sweet yourself M:e. thank you so much for your wishes, and I dearly hope it comes true!