Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Name Game

My tasty splendid k and I were talking about names last night. I first knew her by her chatroom nickname, and the day she told me her real name was really one of those early moments of honesty and trust that I think about all the time. Here on the blog, we use variations on our chatroom names, but really she's never anything but her real name in my mind.

Well, unless we're talking about other kinds of names. Pet names, "role" names, etc. I never in a million years thought I'd like being called Master, for example. I'd never insist on it, in fact resisted it for a while. But I've come to see it as a gift from sweet k. It's an aknowledgment of my place in her life, of what I do for her and what she does for me. I don't consider her to be my slave (though heh, once in a while I'll use that word anyway, mostly when I want to drive her deep into her subbie headspace), and really I don't want a slave. But our roles in each other's lives have expanded outward from the bedroom to encompass a lot more, and as that has happened, she's used the word Master more. It has meaning for both of us, and I'm not ashamed to say that it gives me a deep jolt of Domliness each time she uses it. A one-word testosterone-trigger.

And I've tried various names for her as well, though her real name is so mellifluous I tend to use that more than anything else. I have used "girl" a lot - feels kind of transgressive and it took me a while to get past the age thing. It's a lot more comfortable now. And then there's "pet," which I used for a while, and is now starting to come back. Again, there are some connotations attached to it which I have to work through. Both these names have the power-relationship going the right general direction, but they skew in arcs that aren't the ones I am fully comfortable with.

It's a shame that language is so powerful and yet so confining sometimes. Ideally there would be a word that would express the myriad and subtle interplays between us, that would capture the way we complete each other, that would encapsulate the rich slow-cooked love between us. But I guess that's a lot to expect out of a handful of phonemes.

So I settle for what seems right in the moment. I called her "My slut" last night, and it was just the correct name in that situation at that time. Expressed everything I wanted to say (I'll leave just what the situation was to your vivid and twisted imaginations, dear readers).

The act of naming, even cute little pet names, carries so much power. It's a way of ordering the universe, mapping it to better fit the contours of our minds. Language is in many ways our primary interaction with the world. And in the case of my ebullient k and I, it's the main mode of personal interaction as well - we can't "speak" from body to body yet, so choice of words has a greater impact. That's one reason I like having her write my name on her body, to try and blend the linguistic and the physical - the word become flesh, so to speak. One day my hand placed calmly, quietly, claimingly, on her thigh will express what before might have taken a long rapturous treatise. (Let's all say it with bad Maurice Chevalier accents: "zee international language of love")

Till then, I'll keep ruminating on names, and see which ones work and which don't. I know that I'll never get used to being called "Master," hearing k's sweet bright tones pronounce the name that means so much to both of us.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Knight calls me "Beautiful", "Lover", "Love of my life", "my bitch", and "cock slut". Once in a while he'll call me his whore but the above are the standards.

The one thing I long to have him call me? Wife. One word would encompass and mean so much.

I loved this post so I just had to comment.

Love,
The Butterfly Temptress

Irch said...

well thank you butterfly ... such a nice list of nice names.

Now that I think about it, perhaps we should have an open call for special names that readers like to be called or like to use?

DESIRE X said...

When we started our blog we had yet to even get to the real name thing. It was just this amazing connection that happened and we pursued it quietly, yet on a public medium. Don't ask me why.

I still get amused when I read back our first posts when he was trying to find something to call me by.

We fell into HIM/HER just because we couldn't think of anything suitable. But he has called me 'My love' since the very beginning. It gives me butterflies.

And speaking of Butterflies...
I love the Temptress' names too ;)
Very hot!

Barbie

Anonymous said...

Master just calls me "baby" most of the time, but occasionally, He'll call me "MY baby" which means a thousand times more! I love how protected and cared for I feel with those words. Of course, the standard "slave" is nice too, and used as infrequently as He does, it stands out and gets my attention! :)

Irch said...

Barbie, I thought it was pretty adorable for the two of you to start using Barbie and Ken for your blog-names. Something about the realms of fantasy and reality meeting in play.

And Taylor, I think we are developing a trend here where it's that possessive pronoun "MY" that's what pushes everyone's buttons. I have to say, it works great for me too. Telling k that she's mine or hearing her say "I am yours" is a deep quaking thrill every time.

Darklord said...

Hey! That's really freaking cool!
i want one!
of course, i probably shouldn't announce it or i'll have to wear it out to some bar some night as an assignment. Talk about outing yourself!

i'm His toy
fucking slut
bitch-cunt whore
or whatever else He wishes me to be.

i like His toy the best. Most socially appropirate and all encompassive.

Really neat!
Kinda like having blog business cards to hand out on a street corner. The name is so intriguing that people would be like, what the hell is this!

That'd be totally mean, no?

Sorry, hope this was okay to say and not too terrible. i'll censor comments if you would prefer me to.

Keep dreaming of your beautiful k (i hope you do!)

Irch said...

censor comments? wha? Do you think you accidentally stumbled onto prudishmatronsblog.com?

uncensored comments are always welcome, and in fact encouraged!