Monday, July 17, 2006

In the Groove

The last few days I have been just grooving along beautifully, thanks to my alluring k. When you're in love and in such a fulfilling relationship, when you're feeling comfortable and powerful in your Domliness, when you're dazzled by the sublime wonderfulness of a certain subbie ... then everything in life just seems to flow easily.

I tried my hand a being a jazz musician for a while (and no, not with the giants of the genre you see in the photo - I ain't half that old nor one one-hundredth that good). But I played enough to know that great swinging feeling that comes when you're locked deeply in the groove with other musicians, and everything is swinging just right.

I've talked before about the Tao, and living in the action that you are performing, not being able to tell the dancer from the dance, etc. People get this feeling from lots of different things - being "on a roll" when writing, having "hot hands" in basketball, etc. I heard someone on the radio the other day talking about surfers getting this feeling when they are riding a wave perfectly.

But the reason I like the musical metaphor is that it has to do with human interaction - musicans creating something together, finding the perfect expression on the fly, improvising and floating around the beat, and locking into the "rightness" so that you simultaneously ride the groove and guide it. Thousands of unspoken subtle signals flash pre-consciously among the players and make the feeling evolve over time. What's sometimes called being "in the pocket."

I feel my amazing k and I creating this kind of rhythm and interchange just constantly lately. And just as with music, the melody lingers on. That groovy state of mind continues through the rest of my day, affecting every part of my life, to wit:

Long line of annoying people at the supermarket? -- couldn't care less.
Boss demanding impossible tasks on microsecond deadlines? -- rolls right off my back.
Bus late again? -- meh, what's it to me?
War in Iraq? -- well, ok that one still gets me, but I have such a deep store of hope-for-mankind in me now, thanks to sweet k

I am just riding through that wave and I've got the world on a string, everybody around me is my friend, the world is a colorful scintillating place. There's a touch of the infinite in everything I see and do. Being in love, and being in this profoundly grooving D/s space with my k, I feel in harmony with the whole damn universe, today and every day.

No comments: