Thursday, June 01, 2006

Hard at Work 2



Following up a little after the previous post, I thought I'd muse a bit on the whole experience of being aroused and horny at the office.

I know most everyone has experienced it - our biology gets in the way of our polite daily interactions all the time. And it's no surprise that, in an era when people spend so much time at work, that office-related objects/tasks/situations/people become sexualized and fetishized. It's only natural: our imaginations have to draw from the world around us, and increasingly that world includes a fax machine and an ergonomic chair.

Something that makes it different these days, of course, is the easy access to the internet which many people have at work. So long as you're fairly certain your boss isn't monitoring your computer use (actually far from certain, but that's another issue), you can email, check out websites, and yes even blog to your heart's content. Or until that big project is due. Or until someone peeks over your shoulder. Plus there's the proliferation of cell-phones, meaning you're not on the company's dime (and phone log) when you make a call. And those cell phones are pretty great gadgets nowadays with text messaging and built-in cameras and all. So even if you don't have internet access on a work computer, you've got a great communication device in your pocket too.

I know, I hear you all saying: But Irch, I already knew this - where is your trademark ageless wisdom, witty insight, and tantalizing je ne sais quoi? Yep, I'm pretty sure that's what I hear you saying.

Power dynamics are always on display in a workplace. Even if you work for yourself, or in some utopian co-op commune, there are not-so-subtle power negotiations always going on. The biggest and most basic one being that you are making a bargain to trade your time, effort, and expertise to a person/corporation/entity for the ability to eat and have shelter. At work, we have restrictions on time and space and activity that we don't have in the rest of our lives. So it's no surprise that D/s thoughts come to mind frequently.

Or maybe I'm just a pervert.

Another thing that I really like about worktime teasing is that it feels very much like my k and I are a real-life couple in the usual sense. If we actually were living together, or dating face-to-face, we'd still have these moments apart when we were working, and I think they wouldn't be too different from the way they are currently. Lots of teasing and silliness, lots of lust-heavy comments and innuendo, the occasional command to do something, and even frantic heated text-message, IM, and phone sex when possible. So I treasure the times we get to exchange messages from work, because there's a kind of special contentment I get from it - the knowledge that if and when delicious k and I move into a real-life relationship, this aspect will likely remain the same. It's a feeling of continuity, or at least potential continuity, which appeals to me.

The upshot of all this rambling: I simply can never stop thinking about my amazing woman. Everything circles back to her, all thoughts gravitating to k, the constant among a million independent variables.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy you as a couple and thank you both again for sharing.

Irch said...

thanks for "enjoying" anonymous ... and yeah, sometimes love just gets too big to hold in and you have to swing from the rafters, shout from the rooftops, etc. This blog is our rooftop, I guess.