Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Second Time

I had to get up at 4am that morning, so i could be at the airport by 5 for a flight at 6. It was dark, and i was tired and nervous. I hate flying, and not only would i be taking 2 flights that day, the first would be on a propeller plane.

All things considered the flights weren't too bad. The first flight was the best actually, i had an entire row to myself for spreading out in. The second flight i was squashed between two men.

The first flight ended at a familiar airport, and i got to make my way to my gate fairly easily, only to learn my flight would be delayed for 2 hours - two hours i could have spent taking a nap or reading - i spent texting my just awake Irch.

And then the second flight, too many hours long, i didn't think it was ever going to end, but i did manage to catch a few blessed moments of sleep before we landed.

And then a new airport, a new state, and i walked quickly - like i always do in airports - making my way to the departure gates. My eyes always straining ahead for that first glimpse.

And then finally, coming up a long incline, there He was, waiting at the top for me. And I was in His arms again, and His lips covered mine once more, and it made the hours of flying, and the hours of missed sleep, and the days of missed work completely worth it - i was home.

2 comments:

Votary said...

Wow, k. This is an experience I have imagined so many times for myself... I don't have any doubt but that when the day actually comes for me, I will be a mess! I don't know how I'll sit still on the plane! But as always, you seem to demonstrate so much more grace than I am capable of... ;)

k said...

Votary, I am anything but graceful. I'm sure I just have a perfect memory of it now - but there were plenty of racing heartbeats and unspoken fears the entire time - even the second time I went to meet Irch.

You should have seen me the first time - I was a mess. But in that moment when you actually get to see Him for the first time ... everything just fades away, all your worries and fears and doubts and it's just the two of you, and really that's all that matters.