Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Lunch and Longing

I'm still reeling a little from my romantic k's last post, which is why it's taken me some time to post something of my own.

This is an odd way to go about answering Tulsa's quest for personal details:

"I'd like to know more about your everyday lives. Ages, areas, what you look like how you met (this might be in here), how you deal with being apart [...] What are your favorite colors? Do you like animals? Are you people who spend your lives in front of desks or outside?"

I suppose I'm more willing to go into a little detail now than I have been in the past, so the following is an attempt to get into some of this stuff we've been mostly keeping to ourselves.

Magnificent k and I are pretty different in lots of small and large ways (at least different within the scope of 21st-century college-educated Americans, which admittedly is a relatively narrow slice of things). Here's a handy little chart, so you all don't have to go read actual sentences or anything to get the basic details.

  • Irch is West Coast urbanite
  • K is Bible-belt small-city
  • Irch is politically-liberal atheist
  • K is politically-conservative Christian
  • Irch is late-30s, divorced
  • K is early-20s, never married
  • Irch is not a big fan of nonhuman creatures living in his house
  • K loves the pets
  • Irch works a desk job, is something of a music scholar, likes to read books
  • K works in retail, is something of a literature scholar, likes to listen to music
Those are some of the bigger contrasts that pop into my head. Naturally, as this blog attests regularly, there are overwhelming amounts of similarity too. Which brings me to the topic of the sandwich.

I've written here before about how important food is to me, and how we've tried to share cooking and eating experiences in the past. One of the ways that this has manifested itself lately has been in the creation of our own signature sandwich. Yes, I am a "gastro-dork," but it makes me feel closer to the gal I love when one of us is eating this bit of deliciousness. Though it falls short of being a full-fledged recipe by dint of its simplicity, it's something we both created and we both love to eat, which makes it special.

For the record, I'm talking about a sandwich of dill-havarti cheese, tomato, and avocado, on some kind of interesting bread (I tend toward the sourdough baguette myself), with some spicy brown mustard. How completely ludicrous and how completely wonderful that I can feel like we are having a special meal together when we are a couple of time zones apart.

Sometimes it's the small things that make the distance between sexy k and I seem smaller.

5 comments:

Votary said...

Mmmm, I feel compelled to share my favorite sandwich recipe. Start with a good, hearty wheat bread, and between the slices, pile on roasted red pepper hummus, shredded carrot, and red bell pepper slices. I've experimented with various kinds of hummus and I've added cheese and turkey on occasion, but I think it distracts. Yummy.

And apart from delicious sandwiches... it's funny; almost all those facts you listed are exactly what I would have already guessed. :)

Irch said...

Oh that sounds quite delicious, and I always love a new recipe! Thanks so much Votary.

Unknown said...

Hi Irch... I'm shyly peeking in again after having been absent for what seems like ever and ever. I'm glad this blog is going on. I've added you to google reader and re-added you to my blogroll.

It's good to hear you and k are together. It must be like a dream come true, and if anyone deserves that, you do. :)

orchidea xxx

Anonymous said...

Long-time reader, first-time poster (I think)...I'm so thrilled that things are working out for you! Congratulations and best wishes.

Irch said...

Orchidea, it's always lovely when you stop by, and there's no need to peek shyly - just take a good lingering look!

Submissive, it's nice to "meet" you, and thanks for leaving a message - I'll be adding your blog to the list of those I read regularly. We are pretty thrilled at the way things are working out too ;)