Thursday, November 15, 2007

Before Bed

Over the last couple of weeks, beautiful k and I have fallen into something of a routine at night. After chatting in IM for a while, she gets into bed (bedtime is two time-zones earlier for her), turns out the light, and we talk on the phone.

In many ways, this is the pinnacle of my day. We might speak on the phone at other times during the day as well, but this one is special. Just thinking about it now, my breath is growing deep and measured - it's calming and exciting in equal doses.

We usually chitchat for a little while, and I get to revel in the bell-tones of her voice and thrill to her sly drawl or rising giggle. We talk about what time she needs to get up in the morning (I usually send her a text-message to help her wake up), what tomorrow has in store for us, how we've survived the day that's passed.

Most nights I'll also sing a song to her. Something slow and usually romantic. I'm sure it comes out very garbled over the cellphone, but there's a connection that's hard to make in any other way. I think it helps us both wind down the day and slip into slumber.

Last night we started something new. I began reading a novel aloud to her, and I think we may work through it chapter by chapter over many nights. Or maybe alternate that with the singing. Or maybe she'll read some aloud to me, I don't know. But it's nice to have these possibilities.

And it's indescribably wonderful to know that the last things she hears each night before sleep are my words of love.

5 comments:

Votary said...

I know the feeling! My favorite way in the world to end the day is with Chief. Almost as good, though, are those few moments after we've said goodnight and I continue the conversation, one-sided, in my head, and look forward to our next hello.

Anonymous said...

i laughed out loud when i read this entry.
Just yesterday Master and i decided to start reading together over the phone at night.
Just one more thing we can share with each other as we grow closer.

Anonymous said...

Smiles.....Master and I do it also. He reads me poetry, or the first line of a poem and I say the next line from memory.... smiles...sometimes my memory gives me a *reward*....chuckles.....

I shall leave the rest to your imagination.....

rosie

Anonymous said...

or should I say....

My Master gives me a *reward* for my memory.....or....punishment for lack of.....

smiles

r

Irch said...

Thank you all for leaving comments here - great thing about the internet and nice folks like you is that k and I don't feel alone in doing this crazy long-distance D/s thing.

It is indeed a deeply satisfying feeling to fall asleep with your lover's name on your lips and her voice in your ears. And reading is just such an intimate thing to share, it can't help but make us feel closer.

Maybe at some point, I'll start a list of the things we've read to each other - that might be a nice thing to have on the blog.