Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Textual Healing

I mentioned in the last post that I wasn't able to get online much for a while, due to my work schedule, and I tried to make up for it with a lot of quickie emails and setting tasks for k to perform in my absence. Well there was another thing we did too, which was new and exciting and opened up some possibilities I hadn't thought of before: we started exchanging cell-phone text messages.

So a few times a day, I'd feel my phone vibrate in my pocket and I'd know that my special gal sent me a little message, and on my next break I'd send her something too. I was able to feel so connected to the overall rhythm and pace of her day, another case of bridge-building (see my last post). One day she even overcame her natural shyness to send me a text message with dirty words in it, which instantly had the physical effect on me that I imagine she desired.

So no, it's not half as good as actually being in IM or chat, and there's no way to cyber like that (visions of sprained thumbs and frustrating waits), but keeps us in each other's thoughts quite nicely, thank you very much.

No comments: