Monday, March 03, 2008

Just Before Sleeping

The hour or so just before going to sleep has become the center of my day in many ways. I'm really quite addicted to spending that time on the phone with unique and smile-inducing k.

On an average day, we'll send text a hundred or so text messages back and forth, maybe chat on the phone briefly, talk on IM a while, use the webcam now and then. But lately, in my mind, that's all become a prelude to that center of gravity at the end of the day, when we get into our respective beds a couple thousand miles apart and really spend time together.

The contradictions of the day all seem to resolve at that moment, any misunderstandings between us are settled, the long day recedes, we are as close as we can be, and in a way we are outside the march of time for a while. It's a time just for k and I, with no other distractions (well, last night there was a loud thunderstorm in her part of the world, but that's about as far as the distractions go).

Most nights we just talk for a good long while - seems there's always something else to talk about with her and our conversations never run dry. As often as not, that leads to some kind of phone play. Whether it does or doesn't, I'll usually read something to her next - right now it's a chapter (sometimes two) of a novel we are working our way through. Then I'll sing to her, tell her I love her, remind her that she's mine, and we go to sleep.

My dreams are often full of her presence, unsurprisingly. I like to think that our special time on the phone keeps reverberating for through my sleep, and still echoes into the morning. The rhythm of my day finds its downbeat, syncopations coalesce, and I am "on the one" every night on the phone with my girl.

No comments: